Saturday, December 27, 2008

Taking Short Cut

In our life we often think about taking shortcuts. I was just about to take one myself. I was a little frustrated with certain task related to my business. I wanted to get to the outcome sooner. In last few days I was thinking about accomplishing those tasks and decided that I will take a short cut. I decided to take some measures which I probably would not do or recommend others ordinarily. But because I was frustrated and impatient I was willing to make a compromise. I was willing to compromise my principals.

As always nature came to my rescue. It always does. (Yes I am a firm believer in nature and force.) Out of no where I decided to watch "How To Lose Friends & Alienate People". The movie is about successful people being so unhappy because they compromised their principals to succeed.

I couldn't be reminded of this message at a better time than today. I would have hated myself for the rest of my life had I taken this short cut to success. It suddenly dawned to me that I started coaching because I was tired of people who were compromising their principals and their students' success for personal gains. What difference will there be between me and them if I followed the same path.

Further I also realized that had I started taking short cuts I would have started to become outcome dependent and not enjoy the process. And I realize that I would have stepped on a downward spiral. If you truly want to do some activity in the long run you have to enjoy it in the process and not be outcome dependent.

In fact I teach this all the time. I insist in my book Social Mastery to not to take short cuts. I insist the same in my personal coachings. Had I taken the short cut today I would have never been able to look into someone's eyes said "do not take the short cut".

I am so thankful for I was saved from making this mistake. And as ashamed as I am I needed to blog about this for two reasons:

  1. Because I wanted to set it in the open that I would never think about taking short cuts again.


  2. I want all my students and followers of the blog to learn from this as well.


“Try not to become a man of success rather try to become a man of value.”


–Albert Einstein



No comments: